Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Joy Luck ClubThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well, that was interesting... I am glad that I read the book, but it lefty me feeling really sorry for both the mothers and the daughters. Some relationships were "semi" resolved in the end, but wow, so glad I am not any of them. I felt like the characters were drowning in superstition, false traditions, dysfunction, and discouragement. I appreciate the fact that these women were doing their best given their circumstances, but it sure reinforces for me the detrimental effect of truth combined with untruth -- it always creates an untruth in the end. Partial truths are simply lies. And when your culture or family environment is permeated with these, only harm and hurt can be the result. These are good people with sadly false assumptions driving their every thought, word, and deed. Not a book I would rave over, but at the same time, it was extremely well written, and did offer some resolution and understanding in the end. It doesn't leave me with a desire to judge, stereotype, or dismiss any particular culture or tradition, but simply to appreciate the wisdom and truths I have been exposed to that I know whenever they are lived will always bring happiness and joy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment