Thursday, February 21, 2013

Earth: In the BeginningEarth: In the Beginning by Eric N. Skousen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm so happy I finally finished this book! It was a slow read for me, like a text book that I sometimes had to force myself to get through. But there were enough interesting things in this book to make the effort worthwhile. Some assumptions are speculative. The only real problem I have with the book is the chapter on Adam and Eve. The author doesn't seem to have a very enlightened understanding of Eve's role and contribution. He's not alone in the world on this. But I was really surprised that a learned member of the LDS Church would not be better informed regarding the modern revelation on the subject. Definitely his loss, because I'm convinced that the way men and women view Adam and Eve is the way they view themselves and their spouses, and/or the opposite sex. It makes a difference in our relationships within our families, within the LDS Church (and any church), and in the world. The book was published in 1997-- I hope the author has become better informed since then.

In general, I appreciated the many thought-provoking ideas offered about the creation of the earth. I will read the scriptures on this topic more carefully from now on. There is more than meets the eye. And I think that any time science and religion differ there is an opportunity to learn something more. Science can sometimes be misleading as has been proven many times, and religious beliefs can sometimes be based on misinterpretations. Someday it will be completely reconciled, but one doesn't have to choose between science and religion!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment