Sunday, May 16, 2010

Today I tried something new based on a tip from my sister, Marla.  I "baked" potatoes in the crockpot and it really works!  I have a larger oval shaped crockpot, and cooked a full load of medium/large red potatoes.  Amber washed and trimmed them for bruises, and I cooked them on high.  I forgot to check the exact time, but I believe it was 4 1/2 hours.  They were totally cooked when I took the lid off, and the skins were very tender.  One on the bottom seemed to be a little dry on one side, but not bad.  (They were slightly damp from being washed, but I didn't add any additional water.)  We had them with dinner, and I'm going to make potato salad with the rest tomorrow, if they last that long.

I enjoyed tucking the girls in tonight.  I usually don't get them all on the same night, but tonight I did.  When I tuck them in I give them a back/shouler rub, ear massage, head massage, legs, or whatever they want.  Now I'm ready for a massage! :)

Tomorrow morning I have a meeting with the Stanwood-Camano School Superintendent and her staff (4 additional people).  I arranged to have the director's of Housing Hope and Readiness to Learn each make a presentation to them about our programs and how we can partner with the school district most effectively.  It should be a great meeting and I'm excited to have all those people in the same room.  Housing Hope and Readiness to learn are the non-profit organizations I volunteer with and they are very important contributors to the success of at-risk students and families in the community.  I'm looking forward to the district administrative team getting a more comprehensive look at what is being done and what the goals are.  I'm not looking forward to the early hour of the meeting (7:30!).

After the meeting I'm going to visit my cousin Jan in Maple Valley.  It's her birthday this week, so we will be celebrating that, and she broke her foot a week or two ago and isn't able to drive herself anywhere.  We don't get to visit in person very often so I'm really happy to be getting together.  Last time I saw her she came up and we went to the San Juan Islands for a day, and she stayed with me for the weekend.  She got me started on knitting a hat.  I made a mistake and have let it sit since about a week after she left, so I'm bringing it with me to get fixed!  (Jan is an expert knitter and I want to knit just like her when I grow up!)

I sat down and played the piano just for myself today and really enjoyed it.  It is therapeautic when I am in the right mood.  I have a book of simplified hymns that I like to play from.  I flipped through and found my favorites and just played away :)  I love "Oh How Lovely Was the Morning."  There's a special spirit that goes with that hymn.  It tells the story of Joseph Smith's first vision when he was visited by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  Very lovely song.  Even the simplified arrangement is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment